Niroga Institute Board of Directors
Nik Banerjee [Board Chair] is a seasoned financial services executive with over two decades of senior management experience in leading brands such as Bank of America, Charles Schwab, and Wells Fargo. He is currently a Vice President in the Small Business Group at Wells Fargo. A former professor of English, Nik holds a PH.D. in English from the University of Maryland and has attended executive development programs at the University of Virginia and the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
Bidyut Bose is the Founder and Executive Director of Niroga Institute, which brings evidence-based Transformative Life and Leadership Skills (TLS: a dynamic mindfulness practice including yoga, breath regulation and meditation) to hundreds of educators and thousands of vulnerable students annually in schools and alternative schools, juvenile halls and jails throughout the Bay Area. Bidyut conducts TLS trainings for leaders in education, health care, violence prevention and more, nationally and internationally. Having learned yoga and meditation since he was a child, and with a PhD in Computer Science from UC Berkeley, his current research interests include the neurobiology and epigenetics of traumatic stress, strategies for positive child and youth development, and the development of cost-effective architectures for lasting social transformation.
Judy Dunlap [Co-founder and Program Director] has had extensive experience in finance, marketing, and sales, and was Director of Operations of a software company for 10 years, after receiving her MBA from Golden Gate University and undergraduate degree from UC Santa Barbara. She has an abiding interest in Eastern philosophies, and a holistic approach to healthful living. She is a certified Yoga teacher, having directly experienced the integral therapeutic benefits of Yoga first hand.
Harvey Kletz attended law school in Pittsburgh, PA., and initially taught at Hastings College of Law and Dominican College, with a practice in Oakland. For the past 30 years he has been in private practice in Rockridge, specializing in plaintiff personal injury law and has also practiced other areas, always with insurance carriers representing the "other side". Throughout the years, he has spent long, enjoyable hours coaching youth baseball and soccer. Abbey, his wife of 41 years, is a Niroga - Certified Yoga Teacher; the two of them live in Berkeley.
Michael Pace was introduced to Niroga through its Integral Health Fellowship program, seeking to build on his skills in offering healthy and transformative practices to communities in need. For more than a decade he has been a student and practitioner of meditation, and has a BA in philosophy from Stanford University, and is currently a small business entrepreneur. Having witnessed the immense value and effects of offering stress-reducing practices in mid-west high school classrooms in the early 2000's, Michael is a strong proponent of yoga and meditation as a means of real change for violence prevention and academic performance.
Keley Petersen is President of Willow Grove Advisers, with 23 years of financial services experience. She has an MBA from the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration, and has been involved in asset management nationally and internationally. Keley has an abiding interest in education, and has served on Boards of schools her children went to. She has a personal yoga practice, and recognizes the power and potential for mindful yoga to enhance academic, social and emotional learning.
Patricia Rockwell is Senior Manager of Professional Services at Adobe Systems, leading teams and responsible for Business Analysis, Product Management and Creative Services. Deeply influenced by Indian Philosophy and Buddhist teachings for many years, she was a member of the Board of Directors of the Tibetan Nuns Project and was the Regional Co-Director of the US Tibet Committee.
Fred Schnider is a criminal defense lawyer currently specializing in state and federal appeals. From 1987 to 2004, he was a trial attorney in the Alameda County Public Defender's Office, handling mostly adult and some juvenile felony cases in Oakland. Fred grew up in Washington, D.C. and attended the University of Virginia and Georgetown University Law Center.
Board of Advisors (Partial List)
- Donald Abrams, MD: Director of Clinical Programs, Osher Center, UCSF
- Joe deBellis, PhD: Founder and President, Portfolio Management Associates
- Ken Berrick: Executive Director, Seneca Center
- Peter Boland, PhD: Management Consultant and national thought leader in healthcare
- Alex Briscoe: Deputy Director, Alameda County Health Care Services Agency
- John Burbank: Founder and Chief Investment Officer of Passport Capital, LLC, a San Francisco based, global hedge fund
- Woody Carter, PhD: Executive Director, Bay Area Black United Fund
- Allison Cripps: Vice President of Marketing Consulting at Visa
- Amy Freeman: Program Officer for Child Welfare at Pacific Foundation Services
- Patty Glasow: Vice President and a Director of Auerbach Glasow, an architectural lighting design firm
- Julie Hanamura: Chief Operating Officer, Mom's Rising
- Shobha Hiatt: Former development director at Hesperian Health Guides
- Michael Howe, PhD: President Emeritus, East Bay Community Foundation
- Tony Iton, MD, JD, MPH: Director of Public Health and Alameda County Health Officer
- Ann Kletz: Former Director of Girls Sports, TeamUp for Youth
- Lynette Lee, PhD: Professor of Criminal Justice, Sacramento State University
- David Meggyesy: Former NFL Player, Sports writer and Author
- P.K. Mehta, PhD: Emeritus Professor of Civil Engineering, UC Berkeley
- Arnold Perkins: Former Director of Public Health, Alameda County
- Jennifer Rader: Director of the Community Project, El Cerrito High School
- Jeff Ritterman: Former Chief of Cardiology at Kaiser Permanente in Richmond and Vice Mayor, City of Richmond
- Steven Rosenberg: Social Psychologist and Principal, Rosenberg Associates
- Karen Schwartz: Assistant General Counsel for Sutter Health
- Bill Somerville: President, Philanthropic Ventures Foundation
- Lynda Tredway: Academic Coordinator, Principal Leadership Institute, UC Berkeley
- Debu Tripathy, MD: Professor of Medicine, Director UTSW Breast Cancer Research Center
- Rob Wrubel: Founder and CEO, Whole Body / Yoga Works